A fresh approach to spelling at St Laurence in KS2 (Year 3 – 6)
- apply knowledge they have been taught when writing independently
- use the resources available
- refer to the learning environment
- use personal strategies to help them work out a solution to words they don’t know
- have curiosity about language and words
- take responsibility for their own learning
Good spellers are not…
- people who learn ten spellings for a test the following week.
At St Laurence we are now using ‘No Nonsense Spelling’, a programme designed to develop good spellers.
Spelling homework will now be set fortnightly
Tasks will be varied so the children are inspired to engage with the spelling focus on a more exploratory level.
Children may be challenged to:
- find words containing a particular phoneme/grapheme correspondence;
- explore all the derivations they can generate from a given root word;
- record the spelling strategy/ies they have decided to use for some given words in an innovative way;
- use their words in the context of sentences etc.
Alongside the chosen exploratory/creative/critical thinking activity, the child will have five words to learn.